Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Power That Preserves - Original Painting - Darrell K. Sweet


(click for larger image) A journey of over a decade has come to an end!  I finally found one of the Darrell K. Sweet covers to one my favorite fantasy novels! I started collecting original comic art in around 2003 and started thinking about the original art for The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.  Originally a trilogy of books, and later followed up by sequels, these books really spoke to me when I read them in my adolescence.  I was a big Dungeons and Dragons player (for those old enough to remember), and when I saw the book covers they brought to life that fantasy world which existed in my mind.

When I stated blogging in 2007, I posted a request for information about where the original paintings for the covers might be (here).  I searched ebay, spoke with other collectors of sci-fi and fantasy art, spoke with art dealers, and networked with anyone who I thought could shed some light on where they might be.  Nobody seemed to know.  I spoke with the artist’s former agent who inquired with Mr. Sweet if he recalled where they ended up.  It turned out to be a dead end; he could not recall because they were sold so long ago (Mr. Sweet has since passed away).

As time passed, I would often contemplate the notion that I might never see one of the originals. Were they buried deep in someone’s private collection?  Perhaps in Europe or Asia?  Were they destroyed in a flood or fire?  Did someone who didn’t know what they were accidentally discard them?  I wondered all these things.  I got to the point that I would have been happy just to know they still existed.  But fate had something better in store!  After years of searching, I was able to find this painting and make it my own!  In light of all that history, this piece has a very special place in my collection – I treasure it.

For those who have read the novel, this painting may be the best of the original trilogy in that it features so many important characters and story elements– the hero (or fool?) Thomas Covenant with his “half hand”, the giant Saltheart FoamfollowerBannor of the Bloodgaurd, and High Lord Elena (and perhaps a Raver).  In the background we see the Colossus of the Fall.  In the foreground we see the Staff of Law, and most importantly, a certain white gold ring.  :)


Original paperback:

One down, three to go:


5 comments:

James Rozoff said...

Way to go. Your story regarding Thomas Covenant is very similar to mine. The images were what drew me in to the story, but the story was oh so earth-shaking for me. It would be hard for me to choose which painting I would prefer, they all knocked me out as I watched them appear on the bookshelves when I was too young to spend such an amount freely. But the accumulative power of the three paintings finally brought me to the Land, and I'm glad they did. Though my acquisitions are modest compared to your own score, it's amazing what we are able to experience and acquire when we follow and stay true to the inspiration of our youth. I've met many musicians, artists, and authors who shaped my childhood, and none of them disappointed me. Congrats.

Tony Marine said...

James - thanks for your comment! I agree - I don't know what life would be without art - no matter which medium it is. I think of original art as living things. You can go to the store and by a print to hang on your wall, but there is nothing like a one of a kind original piece. I've been lucky to not only have original art in my home (my mini museum), but to find art that has the nostalgia level like this piece does is really special. I remember being a teen and staring at this cover for the first time. I would never have imagined I could own the original!

kim said...

Hi I also loved the cover art -where did you find it

Innisanimate said...

I’ve been looking for his cover for “The Misenchanted Sword” forever. Glad you found the one you were searching for.

Bill said...

I'm not sure if you'll see this years later, but how did you find the art? I've seen a few art auction sites that I think might let you monitor for auctions from artists you are interested in. I promise to stay away from the Thomas Covenant pieces :-)