Thursday, October 4, 2007

Who Watches the Watchmen?


Depending on the day of the week, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' Watchmen might be my favorite comic book series of all time. It made Time Magazine's top 100 novels from 1923 to the present (2005): http://tinyurl.com/2d9zz5 That's NOVELS, not comic books. Not too shabby, eh? Some comic fans have decried the book for being "deconstructionist", and complain that it's geared strictly to an adult audience, but I'm of the mind that it's okay to have "mature" comic books. Reading them doesn't take away my enjoyment of the "fun" superhero books. By the way, Watchmen is fun too, and the artwork is amazing. I'm still discovering new things each time I re-read the series. This is a great page showing Dan's infatuation with Lauri. It also features the Owl Car - cool!! (Pencils, inks, and lettering by Dave Gibbons. Click for larger image.)

3 comments:

Mr. Door Tree said...

Tony,
I thought you might like to check out my art blog (I'm a former APA member)

http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hello Tony, I couldn't remember how many Watchmen pages you had but this is the one I remembered because it's my favorite. There's so much going on in it. Lauri: "Dan we need to save all those people!" Dan: "Sorry, I've been too busy watching you take off your coat in the reflection. Not to mention you've got a great pair of legs and I'm in love with you. Err.. Wait a minute.. Did you say we had people to save? It seem so unimportant now..." The nice thing about this page is (I'm about to say something sacrelegious so you might want to sit down) I didn't even need to read the book to appreciate what's going on here. It's a beautiful page. glad you're back.

Tony Marine said...

Hey Dallas, thanks for the comment. I think this might be my favorite of the three I own as well. It is a great moment and I also thing it's a strong page visually. Love the Owl Car!