Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Wonder Woman 170 - Adam Hughes



(click for larger image). I think Adam Hughes has cemented his place as one of the greatest illustrators to have worked in comics.  Though he started out as just another "good girl" artist, he never stopped improving his drawing and illustration skills, and many now feel he deserves a place among greats like Drew Struzan or even Norman Rockwell (both influences).  Like Struzan and Rockwell, Hughes was never shy about using photo reference to get his images to look nearly flawless.  Hughes is a self taught artist and is very capable of working in pencil, ink, and color.  At some point in his career he took the leap into digital coloring and he's now probably better than any colorist working in comics.  While he has done interior comic book work over the years, he is primarily known as a cover artist.  Two of his longest running stints were on Wonder Woman (48 covers), and Catwoman (40 covers).

In the early 2000's when Hughes was wrapping up his run on Wonder Woman, I started seeing originals pop up in various collections.  I thought it would be nice to have one myself.  So I looked through all the covers online and picked three covers that were my favorites.  Those were 145, 158, and 170 (the three of them all have something in common - a sharp eye can figure it out!).  I've known for a long time where the 145 cover was but I think the owner is planning on taking it to his grave.  The 158 was around and then disappeared.  It recently turned up and I almost bought it, but the owner decided to hang onto it.  The 170 cover had two owners over the years.  I contacted the original owner once, briefly, but I didn't push very hard to get it.  Many years, and one new owner later, I decided to give it another go.  After discussing it on and off for a few months, we were finally able to work out a deal and I got to bring this beauty home!

It just so happens that this is Hughes' personal favorite Wonder Woman cover.  He writes in his book Cover Run:  "Hands down, this is my favorite Wonder Woman cover that I did during my run...this is the one time I felt I really nailed the Wonder Woman I see in my head.  I wish I'd been able to draw her like this every time.  The build, the rendering, the face - all spot on."  Looks good to me too!

No comments: