Monday, July 20, 2020

Big Barda Poster art - Adam Hughes

 
 


(click for larger image) In keeping with my last post, I thought I'd share another Adam Hughes piece that I added to my collection not long ago.  As I mentioned in that post, Adam is adept in many mediums - pencil, ink, color, and digital color.  So the Wonder Woman cover that I recently posted scratched my itch for a nice inked piece by him.  Adam is also known for his illustrations rendered in Copic marker.  These are done in warm grey tones and then scanned into Photoshop and tweaked to add color.  It's a great technique and a clever use of both mediums.  But to pull it off, you have to be really good with the Copics - and he is.  I like this piece because it's Adam at his most "painterly" - he's so expert at layering the tones to get volume on his figures.  And speaking of his figures - Big Barda is one of my favorites!  I had never seen the original for this piece nor the poster that it was created for.  But I walked into a convention and saw it on display and fell in love with it.  Luckily, the seller included one of the original posters with the purchase.  Its  a limited edition print and I have an Artist's Proof - they're actually quite hard to find now.  But nothing trumps the original!

No comments: