Saturday, February 13, 2021

On Stage 11-14-1962 by Leonard Starr

 

(click for larger image) I have taken great pleasure in collecting original comic book and strip art for well over a decade.  And I have been fortunate to have owned some pretty cool things; many of which are laden with nostalgia because of exposure to them in my youth.  There is no feeling like holding an original piece of art in your hands that was used to print a comic book that you read in your childhood or teens.  The art from those books really made an impression on me.  So much so that I can recall the fist time I saw specific pages and covers.  As a young man, I never imagined that the originals existed let alone that I could own one.  And while owning a piece of nostalgia has its thrills, there is also the art appreciation aspect of it as well.  Examining the originals, and studying layouts, penciling, inking, proportion and other aspects of the art are also rewarding.  As an artist myself, it's great to be able to see these pieces up close and, hopefully, to be able learn something from them.

Collecting strip art, however, is an anomaly because I was too young to have read any of them when they appeared in the various newspapers across America.  There simply is no nostalgia factor.  For many years, my interest in newspaper strip art was based entirely on aesthetics.  Some of the greatest artists to have worked in the funny pages were the strip artists; especially those of the photo-realistic era of the late 1940's to early 1970's.  Alex Raymond, Stan Drake, Jose Luis Salinas, David Wright, Frank Godwin, and of course Leonard Starr were among the greatest.  Ironically, though these artists had immense talent, strip art has typically been the least expensive art to buy; so you really get a bang for your buck.

I can't recall exactly when I first came across Leonard Starr's On Stage work, but I purchased my first original before I read any of it.  Fortunately, On Stage was reprinted in its entirety by Classic Comics Press - over 20 years worth of stories!  I purchased every volume.  It became quickly evident to me that On Stage was a high water mark in the medium of graphic storytelling.  And as a consequence of Starr's immense talent, the writing in On Stage holds up remarkably well these years later.  I can't recommend it enough to any fan of the medium - it's a must read.

I have to admit I've developed a minor obsession with On Stage (as evidenced in the length of this post), and I'm embarrassed to admit that I've owned well over 30 originals.  I can't seem to stop collecting them. And my good fortune as a comic art collector has continued as I have been able to acquire some very nice On Stage examples.  Despite owning some wonderful originals, I was taken aback when I first saw this 11-14-1962 daily come up for sale.  Simply put, it's the nicest example I own.  It also happens to be the earliest daily I own (though I have owned earlier ones - including dailies from the first year, 1957).  This is just a lovely example with both Mary and her Husband Pete featured.  I think all three panels are terrific, and that middle panel is really exceptional.  And the inking is also some of Starr's best.  I'll shut up now and let you look at the pretty pictures!

No comments: